Friday, July 26, 2013

Silence Is Golden (What to say when you don't know what to say)

Ecclesiastes 3:7(b) "...a time to be silent and a time to speak

There was a popular song in America in the early 1970's based on Ecclesiastes. It was a huge hit. It was also when our Nation still had God in everything.

Years ago a friend of mine lost her 17 year old brother in a terrible accident that shouldn't have occurred.

Shock rippled through the community. How could this happen? Why? And why him?

The funeral home was packed with visitors, each of us wanting to offer our condolences in our own way.

Sometimes in our nervousness we don't know what to say and end up blurting out something we wish we could take back. (And I am guilty as charged. What was I thinking?) I only understood after I suffered a loss.

I do realize what I blog about is a pretty dark subject but it is what it is. Death does come to all.

What I noticed the most about the grieving members of the family is how they clung to those who offered a hug. And how two words only summed it up.

 "I'm sorry."

It's so simple.

Maybe I'm mistaken but sometimes less is more.

May you be blessed today.

Mary Netreba

No comments:

Post a Comment