Monday, December 23, 2013

Prince of Bel-air

Philippians 4:7 'and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Jesus Christ.'


In September of 1990 the USA was introduced to a television show called The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. 

My son Donnie was a seventeen year old.... a very rebellious one.  Our home became a battleground from first thing in the morning to the last thing at night. If I gave him a time to be home, he'd miss it.  When I said no to his idea of packing every possible friend in his car for a joy ride, he may have said okay, but I finally figured that one out too. And it was not okay. We lived in the country side (2 lane roads only).  This meant that if he went down the road one way and had to come back, he'd have to drive past our house before going to see his other friends.  It must have worked very well for him. I was completely fooled. Until one day I just happened to look out the window. Donnie was driving by. As he passed the house, several heads in the back seat shot up. (I just know they were probably laughing at me over it.)

And of course, when my son got home, a new  battle began. Except on Monday nights. Fresh Prince of Bel-Air aired at 8:00 pm.  It was a program that any family with teenagers could relate to. It was for many, our first introduction to the world of Will Smith. Even the theme song had us in stitches along with the kookie clothing he wore, and his baseball cap skewed on backwards.

Ah, peace reigned along with side splitting laughter. I saw my son in his real light. Just a kid, somewhere between boy and young man and both battling for position in his life. Donnie had his own battles just like any teenager. And I had the battle of not wanting to let go, wanting to shield him from the hurts of life that I knew were coming.

How I cherish these memories now. They bring me peace and remind me of the good times.

I'd love to meet Will Smith someday. I've kind of 'adopted' him in a way.  I'd love to share with him the memories that I hold so dear.




No comments:

Post a Comment